Clutton is a village located within the Chew Valley area of Somerset. Clutton was called Clutone in 1086 Domesday Book meaning ‘a rocky hill enclosure’. There is a long history of coal mining in the village and the surrounding Somerset Coalfield, but the mines are no longer working. Highbury Hill is the site of the earthwork remains of an Iron Age, it occupies an area of woodland at the end of a narrow ridge. It is a Scheduled Ancient Monument the 3 hectares site lies in an area of woodland at the south eastern end of a narrow ridge with steep slopes around it.
The parish church is dedicated to St Augustine of Hippo and dates from around 1190 but has had several major restorations. The tower is made of red sandstone with diagonal buttresses ending in pinnacles and probably dates back to 1726; the tower contains two bells dating from 1734.